Long Island Attorneys Serving Victims of Nursing Home Abuse Due to Overmedication

The nursing home abuse lawyers at Duffy & Duffy are dedicated to helping Long Island residents who have been harmed by the actions of negligent health care providers. We fight aggressively to protect senior citizens’ rights in the courtroom and at the negotiating table. Since 2006, we have successfully settled numerous nursing home negligence and other medical malpractice matters, including well over 100 multi-million dollar settlements.

Overmedicating is just one of the ways in which nursing home residents may be put at risk. Elderly and disabled people are often heavily medicated in licensed care facilities. For example, certain antipsychotic drugs are regularly given to individuals who suffer from dementia and Alzheimer’s, even though this medication may not be necessary. Such drugs come with a range of potential physical and mental risks, including some that nursing home residents and their families may not know about.

Call 516-394-4200 For a Free Consultation

Let our skilled injury lawyers help.

  • We'll take care of your case from beginning to end.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Seek Compensation from a Negligent Facility

It is important to understand that nursing homes cannot routinely use these and other drugs to sedate residents, if there is no medical reason to use them. Instead, the law requires facility staff to show a specific need for the medication. New York’s Public Health Law makes very clear that every patient has the right “to be fully informed of his or her medical condition and proposed treatment” and to refuse treatment after understanding the potential consequences.

A nursing home resident also has the right to be free from “chemical restraints,” which includes heavy medication. Such restraints are prohibited unless authorized in writing by a doctor – and used for only a limited time – or in the case of an emergency. Even in emergency situations, a physician must be consulted within 24 hours.

If you or a loved one has been subjected to overmedication or other forms of nursing home abuse, you may have the right to seek money damages from those responsible. That includes both the staff members who engaged in the improper conduct and their employer, in most cases. Among other remedies, a victim of nursing home abuse may be entitled to money damages for medical costs, pain and suffering, and emotional distress.

Nursing home abuse is treated as a type of medical malpractice in New York. That means that doctors and other staff members at these facilities are expected to live up to certain professional standards, based on their education, experience, and training. Although the level of care required varies based on the circumstances, an individual who routinely overmedicates residents for sedation or other purposes is likely to be found legally liable for his or her actions.

Best Lawyers Award for Duffy & Duffy - US News Best Law Frims
Best Medical Malpractice Lawyer in New York Award from TopVerdict.com
Case Featured in the New York Post
Duffy & Duffy American Association for Justice Logo
TopVerdict.com - Number 1 Jury Verdict, Chiropractic Malpractice. Duffy & Duffy, PLLC, United States 2022.
Duffy & Duffy Long Island's Leading Lawyers Award Logo

Consult an Injury Lawyer When Pursuing an Overmedication Claim on Long Island

At Duffy & Duffy, we have a strong track record of success in fighting for nursing home residents who have been subjected to abuse. Our firm takes a personalized and comprehensive approach to legal representation, taking the time to understand each individual client’s needs and working to resolve cases through both litigation and negotiated settlement when possible.

If you or a loved one has been overmedicated or is suffering from a bedsore injury in a Long Island nursing home, you can contact the injury attorneys at Duffy & Duffy. We are conveniently located in Uniondale and proudly serve clients in Nassau and Suffolk Counties as well as the five boroughs of New York City. Contact us online or call us at (516) 394-4200 for a free consultation.

How Can We Help?

Please complete the form below and a member of our team will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

  • We'll take care of your case from beginning to end.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.