Table of Contents
- 1 Long Island Attorneys Experienced in Serving Personal Injury Accident Victims
- 2 Let our skilled injury lawyers help.
- 3 Enlist an Injury Lawyer in Long Island to Protect Your Rights
- 4 What Types of Cases Do the Personal Injury Attorneys at Duffy & Duffy Handle?
Long Island Attorneys Experienced in Serving Personal Injury Accident Victims
The accident lawyers at Duffy & Duffy have significant experience representing individuals who have been hurt due to negligent conduct by another person or entity. Whether your injuries have occurred as a result of an automobile accident, a slip and fall, or a health care provider’s negligence, we will stand up for your right to compensation with the vigor that you deserve. Our legal team serves victims from communities in and around Nassau, Suffolk, and Kings Counties, in addition to the Bronx and Queens.
Call 516-394-4200 For a Free Consultation
Let our skilled injury lawyers help.
Hold Negligent Parties Accountable for Harming You
These cases generally involve a claim of negligence on the part of another party that has failed to act with the appropriate level of care in the circumstances. To establish the victim’s right to damages, several requirements must be met. You must first show that there was a duty that was breached. It is generally accepted that every person owes others a duty of reasonable care, or the responsibility to act in a manner that does not pose undue risks to their safety. For example, drivers need to operate their vehicles in a prudent manner, and a business must maintain its premises in a safe condition for patrons. Once a duty has been established, you must then show that there has been a breach, or violation, of the duty and that it caused harm from which you incurred damages.
It is particularly important in a personal injury claim to include all the responsible parties in the case. In some situations, it may be easy to recognize who caused an accident. However, there are other instances where an employer or other third party, such as a manufacturer of a defective product, may also share the responsibility for your injuries. A company may be held vicariously liable for the negligence of an employee, for example, when he or she was acting in the scope of the employment relationship at the time that the harm was caused.
Bringing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Tragically, careless actions may cause injuries so serious they result in death. In these cases, it is possible for the personal representative of the victim’s estate to bring a wrongful death lawsuit in pursuit of compensation on behalf of the deceased person’s surviving family members. The personal representative must show that there was some sort of reckless or negligent conduct that caused the death, and that the relatives suffered damages because of their loss.
In a wrongful death action, it is common to seek compensation for medical expenses, funeral and burial costs, lost earning capacity, and harm associated with the relationship between the deceased person and the family members, such as loss of consortium, companionship, or support. When the defendant has acted especially egregiously, it may be possible to pursue punitive damages, as it is in an ordinary personal injury lawsuit.
In the state of New York, there are laws that limit the amount of time in which you may bring a negligence claim, whether based on your own harm or the loss of a loved one. These laws are known as statutes of limitations and can deny you the right to pursue compensation completely if your claim is not asserted within the permitted time frame. For standard personal injury cases, you must file your lawsuit within three years of the event that gave rise to it. Wrongful death actions must be filed within two years.
How Can We Help?
Please complete the form below and a member of our team will get in touch with you as soon as possible.
Enlist an Injury Lawyer in Long Island to Protect Your Rights
If you or someone you know has been hurt because of someone else’s carelessness, the injury attorneys at Duffy & Duffy are ready to help you explore your options. Based in Long Island, we have assisted many individuals throughout New York in holding a variety of responsible parties accountable for the harm that they have caused. The recovery process can be long and challenging, but you should not have to shoulder the additional burden of mounting medical expenses and other costs. Contact us online or call (516) 394-4200 to speak with one of our attorneys today.
What Types of Cases Do the Personal Injury Attorneys at Duffy & Duffy Handle?
- Car accident lawyers
- Accident Lawyers
- Frequently Asked Questions of an Injury Attorney
- Personal Injury Claims
- Accidents with Police Cars
- Airplane Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Burn Injuries
- Car Accidents
- Head-on Collisions
- Caregiver Abuse Lawyers in New York
- Crane Accidents
- Electrocution Accidents
- Escalator Accidents
- Falling Object Accidents Claims
- Lack Of Security Cameras
- Lead Poisoning
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Intersection Collisions
- Negligent Supervision
- Parking Lot Falls
- Quadriplegia Injury Lawyer
- Scaffolding Injury Attorneys
- School Bus Accident Injuries
- Skin Graft
- Slip and Fall Attorneys
- Labor Laws
- Truck Accidents
- Pitfalls to avoid in personal injury cases
- Workplace Injuries
- Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Common Personal Injury Case Types
- Automobile & Other Vehicular Accidents – Automobile accidents resulting in personal injury to the victim include: accidents involving two or more vehicles colliding with each other, pedestrian being struck by a car, bicyclist being hit by a truck, a hit and run accident, accident involving one car where the driver of the car loses control of the vehicle and crashes it into a tree, causing injury to the passenger, accidents caused by drunk driving, and many others.
- Recklessness, Negligence & Carelessness of Others – If you sustained injury due to the reckless, negligent or careless act of another, you may have a personal injury claim. Personal injury may be of a physical nature, such as a fractured knee, or psychological, such as anxiety and depression. These injuries may be the result of a doctor’s malpractice, automobile accident, nursing home negligence or trip and fall on the sidewalk, just to name a few. Personal injury attorneys at Duffy & Duffy have successfully represented their clients in all types of personal injury litigation and will fight for you.
- Slip and Fall – Personal injury cases against municipalities often involve trip and fall on a broken sidewalk, or slip and fall on snow and ice. Accidents on the subway, such as a fall down the slippery subway stairs, or injuries on a public bus, which, traveling at a high rate of speed suddenly swerves to the side to make an unsafe lane change, are few other examples of cases that personal injury attorneys at Duffy & Duffy have handled.
- Construction Accidents – Our personal injury attorneys also handle construction accidents, where a worker is injured by a falling object or a broken ladder, nursing home negligence cases, which deal with abuse and mistreatment of the elderly patients and matters where a wrong drug was dispensed by a pharmacist, causing harm to the customer, add to the extensive field of personal injury litigation.
- Workers Compensation – If you were injured at your job, you may be entitled to lost wages and medical benefits as a result. An injury lawyer can file all the necessary documentation on your behalf, to ensure that you will receive workers compensation and/or disability benefits. He will attend hearings and medical examinations with you, designed to determine the extent and seriousness of your injury, and assist in getting permanent disability, if needed. In many instances the attorney’s fees are awarded by the court, so there are no upfront fees to a client.
- Injuries in Buildings – Many injuries are sustained in buildings, through the owner’s negligent maintenance of their premises. Such cases include: falls due to inadequate lighting on the stairwell or lack of a hand rail, debris on the floor which hasn’t been cleaned in a timely manner, collapsing ceiling cases and hidden obstructions which cause a victim to trip and fall.