Motor Vehicle Accidents
A motor vehicle accident can be can be traumatizing and difficult for all involved. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident, Duffy & Duffy’s experienced team of trial lawyers understand the dynamics of car accidents, and make sure our clients’ claims for injuries result in the highest level of compensation possible.
We begin by determining who is at fault, and for that, we will look to a number of sources to help determine liability. Our firm has access to an extensive network of experts and other resources that allows us to make sure our clients win their cases and receive the maximum amount of compensation.
Statue of Limitations on Motor Vehicle Accidents
Most states, including New York, have set strict time limitations during which one can recover for any personal injuries resulting from a car or truck accident. If you do not secure your rights within the applicable time period, you may permanently lose your opportunity to bring a claim for personal injuries sustained.
You will need to prove that either a person negligently operated a vehicle that caused the accident, or some defect involving the vehicle or the roadway caused the accident. Many factors can result in a traffic accident, and sometimes multiple causes contribute to a single accident. Traffic accident factors include the following:
- Driver distraction, including fiddling with technical devices, talking with passengers, eating or grooming in the car, dealing with children or pets in the back seat, or attempting to retrieve dropped items.
- Driver impairment by tiredness, illness, alcohol or other drugs, both legal and illegal.
- Mechanical failure, including flat tires or tires blowing out, brake failure, axle failure, steering mechanism failure.
- Road conditions, including foreign obstacles or substances on the road surface; rain, ice, or snow making the roads slick; road damage including pot holes.
- Speed exceeding safe conditions, such as the speed for which the road was designed, the road condition, the weather, the speed of surrounding motorists, and so on.
- Road design and layout. Some roads are notorious for being accident “black spots” for a variety of reasons, including alignment, visibility, surface conditions, road markings, etc.
Contact our Motor Vehicle Accidents Attorneys Today
Duffy & Duffy is here to guide you and your family through this process to receive justice. Call us now at 516-394-4200 for the assistance you need.